"I have set the Lord continually before me; because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved." - Psalm 16:8

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Daniel Scott Shortt - No one else comes close

No one else comes close. As I sat here thinking about a title that could do this post justice that is the only phrase that could sum up the feelings inside me right now and forever about my little brother.

Before I go on I want to say that I find great comfort in knowing where Daniel is. I know he is in heaven, hanging with God, the ultimate creator, the essence of love, the Lord of happiness and joy. I don't say this because I hope that is where he is but because I know so. Daniel was a smart kid, he knew the truth of the bible, the gift of grace, the meaning of the cross. Daniel knew God, not just of Him, but truly chose a relationship with Him. How awesome is that? To know that when your day and time comes nothing matters because you will be ultimately swept into the arms of God, saved from this world full of struggle and pain, to look at God face to face. I find great comfort knowing that Daniel is standing before God listening to Him say "Well done my child, well done." Daniel chose the cross and there is nothing on the earth that can explain how happy that makes me.

Service:
Daniel had a huge heart for others. Ever since he was little he wanted to be a fire fighter. He got that wish. As he served as a volunteer fire fighter at only the age of 16 he was able to help and save countless amounts of lives. He just loved to do it. He was a Police Explorer. He was always so excited to be working with law enforcement guys. I remember when:

1. I came home from college and Daniel went straight to the back of his truck where he kept his fire fighter clothing and put it all on to show me.
2. Me and my family would make countless visits to the fire house when we were younger just so Daniel could look at the truck and, if he got lucky, use the hose.
3. We had this ridiculous VHS video (There Goes a Fire Truck?) about fighting fires that Daniel made us watch over and over in the car.
4. When I came home from college and he would tell me about riding along in the police car and all the crazy things he had encountered.
5. All the crazy jokes he would have about the police officers he worked with, man did he love hanging out with them.
6. The story I heard about him saving a baby's life after a bad car accident not too far from where his happened.



Love:
Daniel was always involved with our family and always loved helping out. He, more times than not, was always willing to go do some yard work for my dad. Here and there he would always pick up the small things that needed to be done... taking the dogs out, taking the trash out, etc... I always saw him and my dad doing crazy things together. Daniel loved my parents more than anything. Despite some conflicts here and there (can't say I have not seen those myself) he was always willing to put himself out there to make my parents proud. I remember when:

1. I was told that Daniel and my dad had purchased a canoe... oh geez.
2. When he would always complain about Andy and I just sitting on our butts (perfectly able body men) not offering to help do all the chores he had just been assigned because he was always around and willing. (that's what you get, haha)
3. When on long car rides we would always have to stop 8 bazillion times so he could go to the bathroom. (yes, that number is accurate)
4. I was able to watch Daniel play tons of sports. My parents were always trying to get him involved in something. I remember seeing that look on his face after a good, yet painful, game of hockey, or football... that look of just pure satisfaction, an unheard 'thank you' to my parents who worked so hard to get him involved in something.
5. Coming home to see pictures from Disney World and a cruise Daniel and my parents went on. I'm sure there was no other place with any other people he would of rather been.
6. When we would go to our grandparents and he would just want to fish or build stuff... all the time with my dad and grandfather.


Our Brother, an adventurer:
Daniel was an awesome brother. Like I said, no one else comes close (ok, maybe Andy, haha). Daniel was always doing crazy stuff and me and Andy had the privilege to be a part of a lot of those things. Whether it was sports, paintball in the backyard, a four wheeler, skateboarding, he was always just outside living life. It was amazing growing up with this kid, so much so that I can only explain it by remembering the times:

1. We would always go to Ghost Town in TN and one time Daniel tried to pee while in the back seat and needless to say I almost got hit with urine...
2. Me, Andy and Daniel would all go out back of our grandparents house and play with toy guns, Daniel of course always locking us in jail.
3. The 3 of us would ride around in Andy's self proclaimed "dude mobile" which was a roughly made golf cart (there are good home videos to document this all).
4. I remember the 3 of us having "wrestling matches" (nicely put) much to my parents dismay. You never knew if Daniel would take my side or Andy's, that was the hard part... not a very reliable ally in the fight against the older "tyrannical" brother. haha
5. When I came home from college and had to wrestle Daniel down on his bed because of something he was mad about... and losing.
6. I called him on my way back to college to talk to him about God, having such and amazing conversation about how great it was that Jesus came and the importance of God and the Bible.
7. I talked to him on Facebook about his ex girlfriend and listening to how much he cared about her and who she dated.
8. Me and Daniel were in Mexico at a resort and were hanging out with a teenage girl and her very young sister in the pool. The little girl kept saying "si, si" in Spanish and Daniel would just laugh and repeat her over and over.
9. How he always wanted to know where we were going, because it didn't matter where it was, he wanted to come because he could handle it.
10. Seeing the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular at Disney World 8 bazillion times (yes, again, that exact number) because Daniel just wanted to see it over and over. There was no pulling him away from that show.

... just to name a few.

Me and Andy can't say enough about how proud we are of this kid. We can't explain how he touched and changed our lives in so many ways. It is just incredible.

To no avail I have tried to not make this very lengthy. It is hard to sit down and write just one blog about someone, sifting through all the tears and memories. I can only sum up everything by once again saying that no one else comes close to Daniel Scott Shortt in my life. He has touched so many lives and taught me so much, I am extremely proud of him. He met people where they were at and served in a way I never could. He had a sense of life and adventure in him that I can hope only one day to have. When I think about him I do cry, because I miss him, but I mostly smile, knowing that he is where he was created to be, face-to-face with God in heaven (probably cracking a joke or two). I am so proud to call him my brother.

2 comments:

  1. So well said matt. I really enjoyed reading that...Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing connections can be drawn from the way you feel about Daniel and the meaningful display of articulation, spirit and life you have shown about him through this piece. I'm glad I read this and it will be shared with the world

    ReplyDelete